Tour Piana degli Albanesi, once known as Piana dei Greci, “Plain of the Greeks”.

Piana degli Albanesi, located in the Palermo Province, is 24 km. south of Palermo, in Western Sicily, on a plain in the eastern slopes of Monte La Pizzuta. The economy is mostly agricultural. The commune has an area of 64.9 sq km., with an altitude of 720 meters, and a population just over 6,000. A significant part of the young professional population commute to Palermo for work each day or live in Palermo.

 
The town was founded in 1488 by a military clan of families from Albania, fleeing the Turkish Ottoman war. King John II of Spain allowed them to occupy the land and to preserve their Greek heritage. The inhabitants still maintain their Albanian dialect, Christian rites, and traditional costumes. Since 1937, it has been a Greek Byzantine Catholic jurisdiction with administration over all the comunes observing the Byzantine Catholic Church services in Sicily.

On Easter Sunday the residents wear their traditional Greek-Albanian costume and parade through the village offering red painted eggs that have been blessed in the fellowship and peace of Christ. The Gospel is read in seven different languages at the festival.  

 

There are many interesting sites to visit listed below.

PIANA DEGLI ALBANESI SITES

Founded in 15th century by Catholic Albanese priest, a Greek Albanian comune

Official site of the Comune. Home of the Cannolo dessert

Visit the Greek theatre ruins on a mountain top near San Giuseppe Jato

Ficuzza Sicilian forest and Royal Mansion

Natural Reserve

Masseria-Rossella Agriturismo and tour

Agriturismo

A historic Church in Arabian style

Monreale

Highest peak in west Sicily, 1600 meters, refuge for migratory birds.

Rocca Busambra

A lake near the Ficuzza Forest and Masseria, in the Scanzano Valley

Scanzano Lake

A Museum of Rural culture, teaching about the way Italian country food is produced

Godranopoli

Near the Natural Reserve of Pizzo Chiarastella, an active Thermal Bath

Terme di Cefaladiana

Piana degli Albanesi, has several churches which provides a tour of the past and insight into the communes  soul. Genealogy records can be researched in the churches.

1.) Chiesa Madre - known as S. Demetrio Megalomartire. It was built in the late 16th century.

2.) Chiesa della Vertine Odigitria - Church of St. Mary Odigitria   - built 1644 and is a historic building

3.) S. Giorgio, Church of St. George - Megalomartire - the oldest church built 1495, architecturally significant

4.) S. Giovanni Battista in San Giovanni suburb

5.) SS. Annunziata

6.) S. Antonio il Grande

7.) S. Vito M. - Church of Saint Vito, with interesting facade